About Our Metals
All of our products are intended for use by adults.
Glinter®-Silver Substitute is an almost care-free metal product that can be made into beads, clasps, earrings, headpins, charms, chain, and wire - as well as other items normally made with sterling silver. It doesn't tarnish like sterling plus the composition is made so that the beads are hard and strong, the headpins and earrings are half hard. Glinter® is made in both antique and bright finish. Glinter® is a solid metal made of zinc and copper with a little silver added. When worn for a long time, as with all metals, it may possibly turn slightly dull. Glinter® can be brightened by cleaning it with a polishing cloth. It's a wonderful product as it wears so well and looks so good for an extremely long time.
Glinter® should be wearable by the majority of the population as it is lead, nickel and cadmium SAFE. It cannot be labeled nickel free but it has four times LESS nickel than most surgical steel jewelry, the most commonly used ear piercing material in the U.S. At the time of this writing no U.S. standard exists for nickel content in jewelry components.
Glinter® is also considered lead SAFE as it exceeds the U.S. standard for lead content in jewelry.
Sterling silver is 92.5% silver, 7.5% copper and other trace metals.
Vermeil (pronounced veer-MEEL or veer-MAY)
Vermeil is sterling silver heavily electroplated with 22kt gold. Vermeil beads, components and findings are an excellent choice for jewelry. The 22kt gold coating should last for several years when cared for properly.
Vermeil With Sterling Accents
Vermeil with sterling accent beads, components and findings offer the jewelry designer many new design options. Now sterling silver, gold filled and vermeil beads, components and findings can be combined on the same piece of jewelry for a luxurious effect.
Our vermeil with sterling accents beads, components and findings are hand-crafted of sterling silver. After the beads are made, a mask is applied to the areas that will remain sterling then 22kt gold is applied through an electroplate process. The mask is removed and the bead, component or finding is cleaned and polished to bring out the beautiful two-tone look.
14kt Gold Filled
14 kt Gold-filled is a quality material that is common in all types of jewelry. The product is easy to care for and will maintain its golden shine for a lifetime. 14 kt gold-filled is constructed in two or three layers. The core metal is jewelers brass. A gold alloy is then bonded to one or both surfaces of the brass core with heat and pressure. The bonded raw material is then made into beads, components and findings.
Solid copper beads, components and findings are hand-crafted of solid copper. They may include other trace metals.
Copper with Sterling Accents
Copper with sterling accent beads, components and findings offer the jewelry designer many new design options. Now sterling silver and copper beads, components and findings can be combined in the same piece of jewelry for a luxurious effect.
Copper beads with sterling accents are hand-crafted of solid copper with sterling silver used as an accent on the outside. After the beads, components or findings are made of solid copper the artisan applies decorative accents of sterling silver to the bead, component or finding.
Caring For Your Beads, Components and Findings
All metal beads need care to keep their luster, sparkle and shine. Sterling silver, copper and brass require more care than vermeil and 14kt Gold Filled.
Sterling silver, copper and brass beads are very easy to care for. Prevention is best so follow these simple steps:
- ALWAYS put on your jewelry AFTER applying your make-up or hair spray and other hair treatments.
- After removing your jewelry, ALWAYS wipe it with a clean, dry cloth and store your jewelry in a plastic zip top bag. Be sure to remove all air from the bag.
- Polish sterling silver with a polishing cloth made especially for silver or use a silver cream or silver polish following the manufacturer's instructions. Do not use all-purpose liquid jewelry cleaners as they can discolor the metal.
- Brass and copper can be cleaned with various metal polishes found commercially. When left unpolished, copper will age to the rich dark color of a US penny.
Storing Your Jewelry
- Store your jewelry in a plastic zip top bag. Be sure to remove all air from the bag.
- Add a "pillow" of desiccant to the zip top bag. These pillows are found in your new shoes, purses and other leather items. Elephant Eye Beads offers these pillows online found under the Supplies button.